“The skull, followed by the temperament: the two hardest parts of the body.”
– J.M. Coetzee, Disgrace
Walk the streets of Pretoria – never mind Johannesburg, the “crime capital of the world” – and you will see an endless string of barbed wire, electric fences, 24 hour a day alarm monitors, CCTV systems, outdoor beams and more. All the perimeter protection the heart needs. A fleet of armed response vehicles patrol neighborhoods; security guards man boom gates and “information” booths erected at key routes throughout neighborhoods and suburbs; PSCs not only provide residential security, but also deliver security services to commercial, retail, and financial institutions. Security begetting security.
Endless theories on the causes of crime and violence in South Africa have been put forth, some with more credence than others. The most common and credible hypotheses focus on poverty, inequality, and the brutal legacy of apartheid. However, more interesting research has recently emerged concentrating on what has been dubbed a “moral degeneration,” emphasizing how crime shapes (or reshapes) the context of decision making, specifically the decisions of would-be criminals. Yet no theories focus on the other side of the crime story: the public’s reaction to high crime rates. What drives this push for more and more private security is the question that interests me. It can’t be just crime, can it? And then what are the social impacts of this highly securitized state? What are the psychological ramifications? These are the things I think about – not crime – when I walk the streets of Pretoria.
Lastly, I’m curious how private security feeds into people’s perceptions of safety. Next month I will be conducting a door-to-door survey (I will write more about the survey in the coming weeks) for my research project, trying to gauge people’s perceptions of safety in regards to their use of private security. Here’s a sample:
1. Fear of criminal activity was an important reason I chose to purchase private security services.
Disagree | Neutral | Agree | Strongly Agree |
6. Private security companies help to reduce crime rates in my neighborhood.
Strongly Disagree | Disagree | Neutral | Agree | Strongly Agree |
9. Without private security services, I would feel less secure.
Disagree | Agree | Strongly Agree |
I would very much be interested to read your ideas about possible survey questions or general thoughts you may have on this topic.
No comments:
Post a Comment